Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Sometimes wonderful recipes happen by mistake. I didn’t have any pine nuts on hand, but discovered a full jar of hazelnuts in my pantry. I’ve been growing basil in pots that have really needed a good trimming so decided to make a Hazelnut Pesto. I’m going to use it on chicken breasts tonight for dinner and save the rest for a pasta dish later this weekend. Hazelnut Pesto is also great on bruschetta and roasted vegetables.
- 1 Cup Hazelnuts (Toasted)
- 3 Cups Basil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Juice Of 1 Lemon
- 1 Teaspoon Aleppo Pepper (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place hazelnuts on baking pan and place in oven 8 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and place on clean kitchen towel. Fold towel over and rub back and forth to remove skins.
- Place hazelnuts, basil, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper until finely chopped. While processor is running add olive oil through pour spout. Pulse until combined. Add lemon juice and pulse again. Add cheese and Aleppo pepper until combined.
- Transfer to bowl and use immediately or chill for up to 1 week. Can be frozen for 1 month.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Note: If you do not have a food processor then use a mortar and pestle.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes Cook Time: 8 Minutes Total Time: 33 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved