Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
This quick-rising recipe makes a delicious loaf and is easy to make. Currants are the traditional add-in, but raisins or dried cranberries may be substituted for variation. Pair with your favorite meat dish or stew.
- 2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Large Egg Beaten (Room Temperature)
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup Currants
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture is the size of peas. Add egg, buttermilk, and currants. Mix until incorporated, but don’t overmix.
- Knead on floured surface until you have a smooth ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Score top with a knife.
- Place in oven 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Makes 1 Loaf
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 45 Minutes Total Time: 65 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved