Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Try this healthier version of the iconic Sloppy Joe. They are great for week night dinners or weekend lunches. No one will know that you’ve used turkey instead of beef.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Finely Chopped Onions
- 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 Pounds Dark Ground Turkey
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Grated Carrots
- 1 Teaspoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1 1/2 Cup Pureed Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 6 Warmed Hamburger Buns or Bread of Your Choice
- Heat olive oil in large-size heavy sauté pan over a medium-high heat until oil starts to shimmer. Add onions and cook for 4 minutes. Stir often. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey, spices, kosher salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, breaking meat into small crumbles with wooden spoon. Meat should no longer be pink.
- Add carrots and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Toss and add ketchup, tomatoes, and water. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a simmer for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon Sloppy Joe mixture onto warmed hamburger buns or bread. Serve with oven fries and a green salad. Serves 6.
- © Victoria Hart Glavin