Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 3 Average: 5/5]
Few things are better than coming home after a long day to a delicious dinner. The same tried and true slow cooker your mom once relied on can make it happen. Just toss in the ingredients before leaving the house and let your slow cooker do all the work. This chicken & gravy recipe is comfort food at its best. The chicken is juicy and the gravy is thick and flavorful. Pair it with vegetables or a salad for a nourishing meal that soothes the soul.
- 6 Pounds Whole Chicken
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Leeks (Chopped & White Portion Only)
- 7 Garlic Cloves (Peeled & Smashed)
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/3 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/3 Cup White Wine
- 1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- In large-size sauté pan melt butter over a medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until limp and translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables. Add 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken stock and white wine. Stir to loosen any browned bits from bottom of pan. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Remove innards from cavity of chicken. Rinse and dry chicken. Season inside and out with poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Place chicken, breast side-down, on top of vegetables in slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and transfer to plate. Chicken may fall apart. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- While chicken rests, use an immersion blender to blend drippings and vegetables into a delicious gravy.
- Disassemble chicken using a knife or your hands. Transfer to serving plate. Serve with gravy.
- Serves 4
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved