Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Dunking pretzels in a baking soda solution before baking is what gives them a chewy shell, and keeps them from bulking up like bread.
- 1 1/2 Cups Lukewarm Water
- 1 1/8 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Bread Flour
- 3 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 Cups Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees when ready to bake.
- Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in medium-size bowl. Stir to dissolve. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add flour and kosher salt.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rise until doubled in size for at least 1 hour. While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tablespoons baking soda.
- After dough has risen, punch air out of it. Divide dough into 12 pieces, roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick). Shape rope like a U and cross two ends over each other. Pull ends down and attach them at bottom of the U.
- Carefully dip pretzel in soda solution for 20 seconds and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again until doubled in size.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted butter and serve with apricot jam.
- Makes 12 pretzels.
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin