Prep Time: 75 minutes
Cook Time: 230 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 10
Tags: Apple Cider, Apple Cider Vinegar, Apples, Bay Leaf, Carrots, Dinner, Flour, Gracious Vintage, Green Apples, Holidays, Kosher Salt, Olive Oil, Onions, Parsley, Pepper, Peppercorns, Poultry, Sage, Salt, Shallots, Stock, Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Turkey, Thyme, Tiny New York Kitchen, Turkey, Turkey Stock, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vinegar, Water
This herb roasted turkey is cooked with apples and shallots, that are cooked inside the turkey, to keep the meat moist and adds a rich flavor. The extra shallots in the roasting pan also give the gravy recipe a rich, caramelized onion depth and, with apple cider, the gravy is so delicious. The easy turkey stock adds extra flavor to the gravy.
- 1 Turkey (10 to 12 Pounds)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley (Plus 3 Sprigs)
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Sage (Plus 3 Sprigs)
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Thyme (Plus 3 Sprigs)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 1/2 Pounds Shallots (Peeled/Halved Lengthwise/Divided)
- 1 Tart Green Apple (Quartered)
- 3 Cups Water (Plus More As Needed)
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 Medium Onion (Peeled/Quartered)
- 1 Medium Carrot (Chopped)
- 1 Celery Stalk (Chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Whole Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 3 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/4 Cups Apple Cider
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Position oven rack to lower third.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey cavities and reserve to make stock. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in large-size roasting pan. Pat turkey dry with paper towels.
- In small-size bowl combine olive oil, chopped herbs, kosher salt and pepper. Rub mixture all over turkey, under the skin and onto the breast meat. Place herb sprigs, 6 shallot halves and apple in cavity. Tuck wing tips under turkey. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Add 3 cups water to pan.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Return turkey to oven and continue roasting 1 3/4 hours more. Thermometer should read 165 degrees. If pan dries out add 1 cup water and tilt turkey to let juices run out of cavity into pan.
- While turkey is roasting, combine neck and giblets (except liver), 6 cups water, onion, carrot, and celery in large-size saucepan. Bring to boil. Add peppercorns, bay leave, and thyme. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming and discarding any foam, for 1 hour.
- Strain stock through fine mesh sieve into medium-size bowl and let cool. Discard solids
- When turkey is done, transfer to serving platter. Reserve pan juices and shallots. Tent turkey with foil and let rest 20 minutes.
- To prepare gravy, whisk 1/2 cup of cooled stock with flour I small-size bowl until smooth.
- Set roasting pan over two burners over a medium-high heat. Add cider and cider vinegar. Bring to boil and cook, scraping up the browned bits from pan, 6 to 8 minutes until liquid is reduced by about half. Add 3 1/2 cups stock. Increase heat to high. Return to boil, whisking often. Boil 8 to 12 minutes until liquid is reduced by about half.
- Whisk flour mixture into pan. Boil, whisking constantly, 1 to 3 minutes until gravy is thickened. Remove from heat and pour gravy through fine mesh sieve into large-size measuring cup. Discard solids. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Remove string from turkey and carve.
- Serve with gravy.
- Serves 10
- Prep Time: 75 Minutes Cook Time: 230 Minutes Total Time: 305 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved