Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
It’s cold outside which calls for a comforting Winter Pot Roast. Feel free to use any vegetables that strike your fancy.
- 3 Pounds Boneless Beef Chuck Arm Or Shoulder Pot Roast
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Shredded Lemon Peel
- 3 Teaspoons Dried Oregano (Crushed)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 3 Medium Carrots (Peeled And Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces)
- 3 Medium Parsnips (Peeled And Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Large Onion (Cut Into Wedges)
- 1 Cup Pitted Dried Prunes (Halved)
- 1/2 Cup Dried Apricots (Halved)
- 1/3 Cup Cold Water
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Trim any fat from roast. In 6 quart Dutch oven add olive oil. Brown meat on all sides in hot oil over high heat. This should take about 10 minutes. Turn off heat.
- In medium-size bowl combine beef broth, lemon peel, oregano, kosher salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour over roast.
- Place in oven, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Add carrots, parsnips, onions, prunes, and apricots. Cover and place back in oven for 30 minutes until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer roast, vegetables, and fruit to serving platter. Keep warm. Reserve juices to prepare gravy.
- To prepare gravy: Measure juices and skim off fat. If necessary, add enough water to juices to equal 2 1/2 cups. Return to Dutch oven. In small-size bowl stir 1/3 cup cold water into unbleached flour until smooth. Stir into juices and cook over a medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir constantly. Cook and stir for 1 more minute. Serve with meat, vegetables, and fruit.
- Serves 6
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen