Yields or Serves: 8 Makes 1 Loaf Cake
Rating:[Total: 12 Average: 3.8/5]
I like to make this cake on the weekends and eat a slice every day during the week. You can make this cake 4 days ahead and store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
- 9 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Divided)
- 1 1/2 Cups Apple Cider
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 Cups Plus 2 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon (Divided)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg (Divided)
- 3 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1 Cup Sugar (Divided)
- Place oven rack in middle position.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 9x5” loaf pan and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on both long sides. Set aside.
- In medium-size saucepan add cider. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until cider is reduced to about 3/4 cup. Transfer 1/4 cup reduced cider into small bowl and set aside. Transfer remaining reduced cider to medium-size bowl and let cook 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Set aside.
- In same saucepan melt 8 tablespoons butter. No need to clean the saucepan. Let cool slightly.
- In medium-size bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- In large-size bowl whisk eggs and 3/4 cup sugar. Add melted butter and continue to whisk. Whisk flour mixture into egg mixture. Combine until just integrated. Add reserved sour cream mixture. Combine until just integrated. Batter will look thin.
- Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Place in oven, on middle rack, 60 to 80 minutes. Rotate halfway through baking. Cake should be deep golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer pan to wire rack. Poke top of cake all over with toothpick. Spoon 3 tablespoons reserved reduced cider over. Let cool 10 minutes.
- In small-size bowl combine 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, remaining sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in reserved saucepan and mix into remaining 1 tablespoon reduced cider.
- Using parchment paper, lift cake onto rack and set rack inside rimmed baking sheet. Peel away parchment from sides. Brush warm butter mixture over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle generously with sugar mixture to coat every surface. Remove parchment and let cool completely before slicing.
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 80 Minutes Total Time: 110 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved