Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 2 Average: 5/5]
Try this Greek spread with pita wedges and topped with feta and dill.
- 1/2 Sweet Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Cup Olive Oil Plus More For Brushing
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 7 Garlic Cloves (Smashed)
- 40 Large Sun-Dried Tomatoes (Plumped)
- 2 Large Shallots (Sliced)
- 6 Basil Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 3 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 2 1/2 Cups Cooked Chickpeas (Drained) Blended Oil (Half Canola & Half Olive)
- Peeled Garlic Cloves From 1 Head of Garlic
- Whole Black Peppercorns
- Blended Oil (Half Canola & Half Olive)
- Brush onion slices with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. On a griddle pan or in a skillet, grill onions until tender and slightly charred.
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine onions with smashed garlic cloves, plumped sun-dried tomatoes, shallots, basil and cumin. Pulse into a chunky purée. With the motor running drizzle in 1 cup olive oil and lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven, combine peeled garlic cloves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and chickpeas. Season liberally with kosher salt and peppercorns. Barely cover with blended oil. If you have leftover blended oil use it for another recipe. Place in oven and cook, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. When mixture is cool, drain and fold into reserved onion and sun-dried tomato mixture. Purée in batches until all ingredients are combined and thick. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Add more blended oil for a creamer spread.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve with pita wedges. Top with feta and dill if you want.
- Makes about 1 quart.
- © Victoria Hart Glavin