Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Bay Leaves, Brown Sugar, Chickpeas, Chickpeas With Chorizo, Chorizo, Cinnamon, Crushed Red Pepper, Cumin, Garlic, Greenwich Free Press, Kosher Salt, Molasses, Onions, Oregano, Paprika, Pepper, Red Peppers, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, Side Dishes, Smoked Paprika, Spanish Chorizo, Thyme, Tomato Paste, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vinegar, Water, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
Add extra flavor to chickpeas with dry cured Spanish chorizo, a type of smoked sausage with a deep red color. Be sure to use firm, dry-cured Spanish chorizo and not soft, raw Mexican chorizo for this recipe.
- 1 Pound Dried Chickpeas (2 1/2 Cups)
- 1 Cup Dry-Cured Spanish Chorizo (Diced)
- 4 Cups Onions (Onions)
- 8 Garlic Cloves (Thinly Sliced)
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Oregano (Chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 3 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Sort and wash chickpeas. Place in Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches. Cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Heat Dutch oven over a medium heat. Add chorizo and cook 4 minutes until fat begins to render. Add onions and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes until tender. Add chickpeas, 4 cups water, oregano, thyme, kosher salt, cumin, smoked paprika, paprika, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 45 minutes until chickpeas are just tender
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir in brown sugar, tomato paste, molasses, and crushed red pepper. Replace lid and place in oven for 30 minutes until chickpeas are very tender and sauce is thick. Remove from oven. Stir in vinegar and pepper.
- Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Serve warm.
- Serves 10
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen All Rights Reserved