Yields or Serves: 6
Tags: Autumn, Beans, Broth, Butter, Cannellini Beans, Carrots, Celery, Celery Root, Chicken Broth, Classic Navy Bean Soup, Dinner, Garlic, Gracious Vintage, Ham, Ham Hock, Kosher Salt, Lima Beans, Lunch, Navy Beans, Olive Oil, Onions, Parmesan Cheese Rind, Parsnips, Pepper, Rosemary, Salt, Soups, Thyme, Tiny New York Kitchen, Unsalted Butter, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin
Autumn is here and I love that soup season is here. This bean soup, simmered low and slow with a smoky ham hock, is definitely on the list of delicious things to serve throughout soup season. If you would like to make your soup a bit creamier, then mash some of the beans with a potato masher or fork against the inside of the pot. You can also scoop out a small portion and run it through a blender and then return back to the pot. If you don’t have navy beans on hand you may certainly other types of beans. Cannellini, baby lima, Great Northern are also good beans to swap out. If you would like to make this a vegetarian soup then replace the ham with a Parmesan cheese rind, replace chicken stock with vegetable stock, and increase the carrots and celery. You may also add additional vegetables like celery root and parsnips.
- 1 Pound Dried Navy Beans (Rinsed)
- 4 Cups Hot Water
- 1 Large Yellow Onions (Dice)
- 1 Large Carrot (Dice)
- 1 Celery Stalk (Dice)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Dice)
- 1 Pound Thick Cut Cooked Ham (Dice)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 Smoked Ham Hock
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Rinse beans and remove any broken or discolored beans. Place beans and hot water in large-size Dutch oven. Bring to boil over a medium-high heat. Boil 2 minutes and remove from heat. Cover with lid and let soak 1 hour.
- When beans are done soaking, pour through a colander to drain. Wipe pot clean.
- Add olive oil to pot and turn heat to a medium. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add ham, garlic, kosher salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add beans and stir to combine. Add smoke ham hock into soup. Add chicken broth and bring to boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to a medium-low. Gently simmer 90 minutes until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hock. Add unsalted butter and stir until melted. Cut away any meat from ham hock and stir into soup.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 95 Minutes Total Time: 115 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved