Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 8 Makes 1 Loaf
I love the warm, spicy flavor of gingerbread. This recipe is intensified by using two forms of ginger – ground and crystallized. This is a nice dessert or great for holiday mornings with a cup of strong coffee.
- 5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1/2 Cup Minced Crystallized Ginger
- 2 Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk Or Plain Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x4” loaf pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl add butter and sugar. Beat until creamy. Stir in molasses and crystallized ginger. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a medium-size bowl combine flour, kosher salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk (or yogurt). Begin and end with flour mixture. Combine until smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Place in oven 45 to 50 minutes until golden and springy. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Turn loaf out onto wire rack.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Makes 1 Loaf
- Serves 8 to 10
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 50 Minutes Total Time: 70 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved