Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Breadcrumbs, Chickpeas, Cumin, Dinner, Eggs, Falafel Salad, Hummus, Kosher Salt, Lettuce, Middle Eastern, Middle Eastern Falafel Salad, Mixed Greens, Oil, Onions, Panko Breadcrumbs, Parsley, Pepper, Romaine Lettuce, Salad, Salt, Spinach, Tomatoes, Vegetable Oil, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Yogurt
It’s Friday and I’m in the mood for falafel AND I’m in the mood for a salad so let’s combine the two for a delicious Middle Eastern dinner. Oh, and the hummus dressing is pretty darned good too.
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Large Egg (Lightly Beaten)
- 1 1/2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes (Quartered)
- 10 Ounces Hummus
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
- 2 Romaine Lettuce Hearts (Chopped
- 1 Cup Mixed Greens Or Spinach
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In food processor or blender finely chop half of parsley, half of sliced onion, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper. This will make a paste. In large-size bowl mash chickpeas making sure to leave some whole. Add parsley mixture to chickpeas. Add beaten egg and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In medium-size bowl combine quartered tomatoes, remaining parsley, remaining onion, and 1/2-teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside.
- In medium-size bowl whisk hummus and yogurt.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs on baking sheet. With tablespoon scoop out chickpea mixture and roll in breadcrumbs to coat and form a ball. Repeat until all chickpea mixture is used.
- Heat 1 inch vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place in heated oil and fry for 6 minutes until golden. Make sure to turn often to ensure all sides are cooked evenly. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- In large-size serving bowl toss lettuce and salad greens with half hummus dressing. Top with tomato mixture and falafel. Serve with remaining hummus dressing.
- Serves 4
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved