Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 6 Makes two 1/2-pint jars
There is a big difference in flavor and texture between homemade marinated baby artichokes and jarred marinated artichokes from the store. There is a bit amount of work involved, but well worth it.
- Flavored Oil:
- 2 Cups Olive Oil
- 4 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Unpeeled/Smashed)
- 3 Strips Lemon Rind
- 1/2 Cup Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 Lemon (Juiced)
- 9 Baby Artichokes
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Carrot (Peeled/Cut Into Sticks)
- 1 Onion (Cut Into Wedges)
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- To make flavored oil: In small-size pan, over a low heat, combine olive oil, thyme, garlic, lemon rind, red pepper flakes, and peppercorns. Gently warm mixture until just heated. Make sure mixture does not bubble. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In large-size bowl add cold water and lemon juice. Pull outermost layer of tough leaves from artichokes. Peel and trim stems, removing 1/8 inch from each base. Halve each artichoke lengthwise and gently scoop out fuzzy choke if prickly to the touch. As each artichoke is prepared, submerge into lemon water to prevent discoloring.
- Drain artichoke and pat dry with paper towels. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Place carrot and onion in large-size sauté pan and arrange artichokes in single layer on top. Drizzle with olive oil and white wine. Cook over a high heat until mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 35 minutes until artichoke bases and leaves are tender. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Using slotted spoon, remove artichokes and discard braising vegetables and liquid. Divide artichokes evenly between 2 sterilized preserving jars. Cover with cooled flavored oil.
- Tightly seal jars and set in cool, dark place for 3 days. After opening jars, store in refrigerator.
- Makes two 1/2-pint jars
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 80 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved