Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 10 Cupcakes
Orange juice and orange zest in the batter gives the cupcakes an aromatic flavor and the creamy orange buttercream frosting is infused with orange. Delicious!
- 1 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter (Melted)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Zest
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- Peel Of 1 Orange (Cut Into Strips)
- 1 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In medium-size bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- In large-size bowl beat melted butter and sugar. Add milk, eggs, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture and gently combine. You don’t want to overmix the batter.
- Fill prepared muffin tin to about 3/4 full.
- Place in oven 20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack.
- Cool completely. Remove from muffin tin.
- To make frosting: In small-size saucepan whisk four with a bit of milk to make a paste. Add remaining milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and orange peel. Turn heat to low and constantly stir until mixture gets very thick and kind of looks like a custard. Press mixture through a strainer into a bowl. Discard orange peel and cover with plastic wrap pressed to the surface and let cool to room temperature. Once mixture has cooled beat together butter and remaining sugar, in medium-size bowl, until light and creamy. Add 1 spoonful of custard mixture a bit at a time making sure to mix on low between each addition. Make sure each addition is incorporated before add the next. Once all custard mixture has been added beat until whipped and creamy. You shouldn’t be able to feel any sugar granules. Don’t worry if it looks like it’s separating just keep beating. It will all come together. Add vanilla and orange zest and give one final quick mix just to combine.
- Frost cupcakes and serve.
- Makes 10 Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes Total Time: 40 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved