Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Arugula Salad Arugula, Beef, Bolognese, Butter, Carrots, Celery, Comfort Food, Dinner, Fall, Garlic, Ground Beef, Italian Style Shepard’s Pie, Lemons, Main Courses, Make Ahead, Mashed Potatoes, Olive Oil, Onions, Parmesan Cheese, Potatoes, Prosciutto, Red Wine, Shepard's Pie, Tomatoes, Victoria Hart Glavin, Wine, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
Italian Style Shepard’s Pie is a twist on the classic and perfect for a fall meal. You can make this dish ahead of time and reheat on busy days. Serve with a side salad of Arugula tossed with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Olive Oil (For Greasing Baking Dish)
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sliced Prosciutto
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 2 Large Carrots (Diced)
- 3 Celery Stalks (Diced)
- 1 Large Onion (Diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1/3 Cup Red Wine
- 3 1/2 Cups Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 6 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Make mashed potatoes ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 11x7 inch-baking dish with olive oil.
- In large-size heavy pot add 1/4 cup butter and prosciutto. Sauté for 4 minutes. Add ground beef and cook for 8 minutes until no longer pink. Use your spoon to break up any large pieces. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to bowl.
- In same heavy pot sauté carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in remaining butter for 5 minutes. Add meat mixture, wine, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to boil, partially covered, and simmer for 1 hour on low. Stir occasionally. You may add a bit of water if sauce becomes too dry. Add kosher salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture over bottom of baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved