Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 110 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 6
I like to serve this dish on weekends with roasted meats, but it’s also a good holiday dish. This rich Potato Leek Gratin is prepared with cream and two kinds of cheeses (Gruyere and Parmesan).
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Divided)
- 4 Pounds Leeks (White And Light Green Parts, Cut Into 1/4 Inch Rings)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Gruyere Cheese)
- 3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Pounds Russet Potatoes (Peeled And Cut Into 1/4 Inch Slices
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Chives
- In large-size heavy pan melt 5 tablespoons butter over a medium heat. Add leeks and kosher salt. Cover and cook 20 minutes until leeks are tender. Stir occasionally. Add thyme, nutmeg, pepper, and cream. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch square pan or large gratin dish with remaining butter.
- In medium-size bowl combine chesses.
- Layer one-third of the potatoes in the baking dish. Spread one-third of the leek mixture on top. Sprinkle with one-third of the cheeses and then one-third of chives. Repeat the layering two more times.
- Cover dish with foil. Place in oven 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake another 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 110 Minutes Total Time: 140 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved