Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 8 Makes 1 cake
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
I like to prepare strawberry shortcakes like a regular cake by baking the layers in standard round cake pans and then filling and topping them with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. The end result is so pretty and so delicious. What a nice way to celebrate spring!
- 4 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 1/4 Cups Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Unsalted Cold Butter (Cut Into Small Pieces)
- 2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 3 Pints Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (Whipped)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl combine flour, baking powder, kosher salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add cold butter and cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives. Consistency with be coarse.
- In another large-size bowl beat eggs. Add milk and beat until fluffy. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture. Combine until just combined. On lightly floured board knead dough for one minute. Pat half dough into each cake pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Place in oven 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Wash strawberries and remove hulls. Set aside a few berries for garnish. Cut large berries in half. Transfer to large-size bowl and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Let stand 30 minutes.
- To assemble place one shortcake layer on cake stand or serving plate. Spread half of whipped cream over cake layer and spoon half of the berries with juice on top. Place second shortcake layer on top. Spread remaining whipped cream over cake and spoon remaining berries and juice over whipped cream.
- Garnish with reserved whole berries.
- Makes 1 cake
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 35 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved