Yields or Serves: 10
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
We’re having a blizzard here in the Northeast and I can’t think of a better thing to do than make soup. This recipe makes a pretty large batch of soup. You can freeze leftovers to have for lunches later.
- 2 Whole Turkey Legs
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoons Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil (Divided)
- 6 Celery Ribs
- 3 Large Carrots
- 3 Large Yellow Onions
- 2 Apples (Peeled)
- 2 Heads Garlic
- 8 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 5 Sprigs Thyme
- 4 Sprigs Sage
- 8 Cups Water
- 1 Pound Cremini Mushrooms (Stemmed, Thinly sliced)
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Pearled Barley
- 1 Bunch Curley Kale (Stemmed, Chopped)
- 1 Cup Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 Cup Chopped Dill
- Season turkey legs with kosher salt and pepper.
- In large-size stockpot or Dutch oven heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Add turkey legs and sear over a medium heat 7 minutes until skin is golden brown and crispy. Turn once.
- While turkey legs are browning roughly chop three celery stalks; roughly chop two carrots; quarter one yellow onion; quarter one apple; slice whole heads garlic horizontally. Add to pot with turkey legs. With cooking twine tie thyme and sage sprigs into one bundle. Add to pot. Add 8 quarts water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, 2 hours until turkey is very tender. You may need to skim any foam off the surface.
- Finely chop remaining celery, carrots, onion, and apple.
- Transfer turkey legs to plate and cover with foil. Continue to summer stock for up to 4 hours. Add water as needed.
- Strain stock through fine-mesh sieve set over large-size bowl. Discard used vegetables and herbs. You will have approximately 5 quarts stock. Wipe out pot and return to stove.
- Heat remaining olive oil. Add celery, carrots, onion, apple, and minced garlic. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat 10 minutes until tender. Stir occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes Add stock and bring to boil. Stir in quick cooking barley and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes until barley is tender.
- While barley is cooking shred turkey into bite size pieces. Discard skin and bones. You should have about 6 cups turkey.
- Stir in turkey and greens and cook 5 minutes until greens are wilted. Add parsley and dill. Add kosher salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.
- Serves 10
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 400 Minutes Total Time: 430 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved