Yields or Serves: 6
Tags: Baking, Butter, Cornstarch, Crust, Egg Yolks, Eggs, Farms, Gracious Vintage, Island, Kosher Salt, Lemon Juice, Lemons, Martha's Vineyard, Milk, Peach Galette, Peaches, Pie Crust, Salt, Sugar, Summer, Tapioca Flour, Tiny New York Kitchen, Unsalted Butter, Up Island Summer Peach Galette, Vanilla, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vodka, Water
One of my favorite things to do is visit farm stands when I’m spending time at my place on Martha’s Vineyard. The fruits and vegetables are so fresh and it’s easier than hitting the busy grocery stores. Plus, I like to support the local island farms. I make this delightfully flakey and crisp pie crust, topped with fresh and juicy peaches during the summer months. It’s is easy enough to make for your family in a pinch and fancy enough for company.
- Pie Crust (Makes 2 Pie Crusts)
- 8 Ounces Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Vodka (Chilled)
- 2 Tablespoons Water (Chilled)
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (Chilled)
- 12.5 Ounces Unbleached Flour (Chilled)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 6 Peaches (Pitted/Halved)
- 1 Tablespoons Cornstarch Or Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Egg Wash
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- To Make Pie Crust: Slice butter into small pieces. Freeze butter on a plate for 15 minutes. Make sure vodka, water, vinegar, and flour are all chilled as well. Place flour, kosher salt, and sugar in food processor. Pulse to mix ingredients. Add chilled unsalted butter and pulse a few times until you have chickpea size butter pieces mixed in with the dough. Add vodka and vinegar. Pulse just a few times to mix in. If mix is too dry add a small amount of cold water. Turn out dough onto clean surface and bring mixture together to form a rough dough disk. Cut into two and form two flat disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to make galette, remove 1 portion of crust from fridge and let soften 10 to 20 minutes. Dough should still be cold, but malleable.
- To Make Peach Filling: Slice each peach half into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place peaches in large-size bowl and add lemon juice, vanilla, kosher salt, and cornstarch. Gently toss to mix in with peaches. To Make Egg Wash: While galette is chilling and oven is preheating mix egg yolk and milk together. Set aside.
- Assembly: Dust clean work surface with flour and place cold, but malleable, pie dough on top. Dust top of pie disk with a bit of flour as well. Roll out pie disk until you have a rough round shaped disk that is about 12 inches in diameter. Gently place crust on parchment paper.
- Starting from middle, place peach slices on top of pie dough, leaving a 2-inch border from edge of pie crust. Sprinkle sugar over peach slices.
- Fold over pie dough borders. Place galette, along with parchment paper, on baking tray. Place galette in fridge 15 to 20 minutes until it firms up. While galette is in fridge preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- When oven is preheated remove galette from fridge. Generously brush top of pie dough with egg wash.
- Place in oven 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and gently lift galette from parchment paper. Be careful as galette will be a bit soft and delicate at this point. Place on baking rack to cool. This will help prevent bottom from getting soggy.
- Serve while warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes Total Time: 70 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved