Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
Summer baking at it’s best. Juicy and ripe red plums are just waiting to give you a beautiful summer dessert.
- 1 1/2 Cups Vanilla Pastry Cream (Ingredients Listed Below)
- 1 Cup Finley Ground Skin-On Almonds
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 5 Red Plums (Pitted & Halved)
- Powdered Sugar For Dusting
- Baked Tart Dough
- To make Vanilla Pastry Cream: Heat 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream in medium-size saucepan over a medium-low heat until begins to simmer. Add 1/2 vanilla bean pod and seeds (split lengthwise and seeds scraped out and reserved). Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for 30 minutes. Rewarm milk mixture over a medium-high heat until almost simmering. Meanwhile, mix 4 large yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Blend in 3 tablespoons cornstarch and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Pour mixture back into pan and cook, whisking constantly for 4 minutes until thick as pudding. Pour custard through a strainer into a clean bowl. Throw away vanilla pod. Lay plastic wrap against surface of custard to keep skin from forming. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 4 days. Remove from fridge and whisk cold custard to smoothen it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium-size bowl blend vanilla pastry cream, ground almonds, eggs, and sugar. Spread into baked tart shell and top with plum halves.
- Place in oven on bottom rack and bake 50 to 60 minutes until filling is puffed, golden brown, and firm around the center when pressed.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Serves 8
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved