Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
If your kids turn up their nose at asparagus, then give this super tasty kid-friendly version a try. A light batter turns asparagus spears into frites and a great way to get your little ones to eat their spring vegetables.
- 1 Quart Canola Oil
- 1 Bunch White Asparagus
- 1 Bunch Green Asparagus
- 3/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Sparkling Water (Ice Cold)
- 3 Ice Cubes
- In large-size pan heat canola oil to 350 degrees. You can check temperature by using a deep frying/candy thermometer.
- Peel white asparagus with vegetable peeler from just under tips to the ends. You don’t need to peel the green asparagus. Trim off tough ends of both green and white asparagus and then cut each stalk in half lengthwise. Cut stalks in half horizontally.
- In medium-size bowl whisk together unbleached flour, cornstarch, and kosher salt. Whisk in cold sparkling water and 3 ice cubes. Your batter will look a bit lumpy, but that’s ok.
- Transfer asparagus to batter. Using kitchen tongs, carefully drop a few asparagus pieces into hot oil. Fry 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining asparagus.
- Transfer to serving plate and serve warm.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 10 Minutes Total Time: 30 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved