Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 4
Tags: Apples, Applesauce, Autumn, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Breakfast, Brunch, Butter, Buttermilk, Cakes, Canola Oil, Dessert, Eggs, Fall, Flaxseed, Flour, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, Kosher Salt, Maple Syrup, Muffins, Pecans, Pectin, Pies, Pink Lady, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Salt, Scones, Sugar, Waffles With Maple Apples
Apples contain a natural starch called pectin. Varieties with more pectin (Pink Lady and Honeycrisp) won’t fall apart when stewed or baked – best for sautés, cakes, and pies. Those with less pectin, like Golden Delicious, will break down more when cooked. Use these for applesauce, muffins, and scones.
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 Cup Low Fat Buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 3 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1 3/4 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Pecans (Optional)
- Core and thinly slice the apples.
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over a medium heat. Add apples and sauté 8 to 10 minutes until tender. Stir occasionally. Stir in maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat a greased waffle iron on medium.
- In a blender, purée the buttermilk, oil, eggs, flour, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt until combined. Spoon some batter into waffle iron. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Reheat apple mixture if desired. Spoon over waffles to serve. Top with toasted pecans if desired.
- Keep waffles warm on a baking sheet in a 225-degree oven.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 50 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved