Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 3 Average: 5/5]
Tags: Bell Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Cooking Light, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Grape Seed Oil, Greenwich Free Press, Grilled Eggplant Kebabs, Grilling Time, Kebabs, Kosher Salt, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Lemons, Light Side, Mint Leaves, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Olives, Onions, Oregano, Pepper, Pita Bread, Red Onions, Salt, Skewers, Spinach, Summer Cooking, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Yogurt, Yogurt Sauce, Zucchini
Tiny New York Kitchen’s vegetarian twist on a Greek favorite. Eggplant, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini are marinated and then grilled to perfection.
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Oregano Leaves (Chopped)
- 4 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 16 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Large Japanese Eggplant (Trimmed & Cut Into 20 Pieces)
- 1 Large Zucchini (Trimmed & Cut Into 10 Pieces)
- 10 Whole Button Mushrooms
- Salad :
- 1 Cucumber (Seeded & Chopped)
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper (Seeded & Cut Into 1/2 Inch Chunks)
- 1/2 Cup Pitted Black Olives
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (Diced)
- 3 Cups Lightly Packed Trimmed Baby Spinach Leaves
- For The Grill:
- Grape Seed Oil
- Olive Oil
- 6 Metal Or Wooden Skewers (Soak Wooden Skewers 30 Minutes Before Using)
- 3 Six Inch Whole Grain Pitas
- Yogurt Sauce :
- 1/2 Cup Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Mint Leaves (Chopped)
- In large-size bowl, whisk together lemon zest and 1/2 cup lemon juice, garlic, oregano, olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. Transfer half of mixture to a second large-size bowl.
- Add tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini to first bowl. Toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Leave out mushrooms or else they will end up soggy.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad. To second large-size bowl, add cucumbers, red bell pepper, olives, and onions. Toss well with dressing and set aside.
- Prepare yogurt sauce. In small-size bowl combine yogurt, lemon juice, and chopped mint leaves. If necessary, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until sauce reaches a pourable consistency.
- Heat grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate with grape seed oil or any high heat cooking oil. Onto each skewer, thread tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms, dividing evenly among skewers.
- Brush vegetables with a bit of olive oil. Add skewers to grill. Close lid and cook 8 to 10 minutes until tender. Turn halfway through cooking time.
- Just before skewers are finished, brush pitas with olive oil, grill, turning once, for 1 minute until lightly toasted and warm. Cut into quarters and divide among plates. Add spinach to salad and toss. Remove skewers and add to plates. Serve with salad and yogurt sauce.
- Serves 6
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved