Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 10
Tags: Appetizers, Carrots, Cilantro, Curry, Curry Powder, Eggs, Gracious Vintage, Kosher Salt, Oil, Onions, Peas, Pepper, Potatoes, Puff Pastry, Russet Potatoes, Salt, Samosas, Snacks, Spring Peas, Tiny New York Kitchen, Turnovers, Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Samosas, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, Water
Delicious with fresh spring peas, these crisp Indian style turnovers can be made with your choice of vegetables in other seasons.
- 2 Large Russet Potatoes (Peeled/Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 6 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (Divided)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Carrot (Peeled/Grated)
- 1/2 Cup Shelled Peas
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 17.25 Ounces Frozen Puff Pastry (Thawed In The Refrigerator)
- 1 Egg Beaten With 1 Tablespoon Water
- Add potatoes in saucepan with water to cover the potatoes and bring to boil over a high heat. Cook 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and transfer to bowl. Mash potatoes well, mixing with curry powder and 3 tablespoons oil. Set aside.
- In sauté pan over a medium heat add remaining oil. Add onion and sauté 3 to 4 minutes until softened. Add carrot and sauté 3 to 4 minutes until carrot has softened. Transfer onion and carrot into potatoes.
- Bring small saucepan 3/4 full of water to a boil. Add peas and blanch 1 minute. Drain and add peas to potato mixture. Add cilantro. Mix well and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- On work surface roll out puff pastry very thin. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter cut out rounds. Place about 1 teaspoon potato mixture in center of each round. Brush edges of round with egg-water mixture. Fold in half and press edges together to seal.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place filled pastries on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg-water mixture.
- Cover and place in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge. Place in oven 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
- Serves 10
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes Total Time: 60 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved